Light and bright

It's always a treat when the big brown truck pulls up to the house and you know what to expect.

Backing up to a couple weeks ago, I had a good bit of wind at anchorage that caused me to bend the shank of my Danforth 13s anchor whilst retrieving it. Impressive, yes, but it also rendered it basically unable to be used. The shank bent to a degree that it can no longer pass through the flukes, so unless you can be certain of which way it lands, there's no guarantee they'll drop into the floor and hold. Last weekend, I spent the weekend on the dock anyway, not needing an anchor.

And this weekend? Saturday, went up and out and floated as there was only minor breeze across the lake. I did actually fly my asymmetrical spinnaker to see what it would be like. To be fair, it's still one of those just playing around things. I do not have an actual tack line, so there's no way to lift it off the deck for better angles, the sheet for it was just the bitter end of an old halyward that I have as a spare, and I was only putting it up to see if it would hoist better without the chute it came in (it does). It actually does work a little, but another knot of wind would've been preferred to really fill it out. And it's dirty and dingy but at least I tried, right? I'd also like to point out that the foot of my main is horribly bunched, and for some reason my outhaul wasn't budging it. Strangely once I was back to the dock Saturday evening with it flaked down, I was able to draw it tight just fine. Must've been the angle.

Sunday morning was a time travel expedition to Warwick, courtesy of the Sterling Renaissance Festival. I had never been, that I know of. I remember going to two such events when I was young. And I know the one I went to with my father was not this one. Perhaps the other time it was? Too young to remember. Or maybe I'm too old to now. Regardless, I was pleasantly surprised that it was as large as it turned out to be, and the crowd was also impressive.
I woke up this morning and was preparing for work, when lo and behold, Hark! A dog barketh from thine quarters of living! I met Mr Brown in the driveway and was surprised for the second time in two days. Not because it arrived, I was expecting it. But because the weight is completely understated, even knowing it's known for it's light nature.

Seeing the Defender tape is always a happy day for a boater.

I know their anchors are supposed to have the holding power, but I have to give them props for the staples used in their boxes. I nearly had to find pliers.

Looking in, it's surprisingly simple, and even easier to put together than I thought it was. So what to do right before going to work? Test-fitting it together.

The weight of this thing is mind-boggling. It's physically larger than the old 13s, probably by about 20% or so. It feels though, as if it weighs nothing. One concern I read often, and is addressed specifically by Fortress, is that you need - not 'should have' - but NEED a length of chain to weigh it down. Six feet per every 25' of anchoring depth. Guess I'll be good for a ways out, then. The concern is that without it, the Fortress will basically float/fly along the water, taking a lot longer to reach bottom than it should. But once they set, they're quite stout, per the reviews and testing. Granted, most of the tests are done with sandy or muddy, softer bottoms. But my Danforth works fine in the places I anchor on the lake, so I figure sticking with the style that works should work too.

Just as a side note about it. One of the claims to fame is that it sets faster due to the sharpened flukes. The Danforth was a good solid anchor and is still used, so why wouldn't someone just grind the flukes of a steel Danforth for faster setting? Seems like an easy and cheap way to slightly bridge the gap between the two. Just brain storming, but far greater minds than mine have avoided doing it. With luck, I'll test out the purposely-built one this weekend.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching up

 Well then, I guess it's time to figure out where we've been and where we go next.  The shed project moved along nicely. Quite, in f...